Coming from a QLD upbringing and now living on the Mornington Peninsula, I am a self-confessed nature lover. I am constantly inspired and in awe of the beauty and diversity of the Australian landscape.
The outdoors has a natural appeal to humans. The sky, earth, water, and other outdoor elements make us feel refreshed, calm, and one with the earth. How do we get these elements from the outdoors, inside of our home?
My ideal residential design would be situated in a private, secluded piece of land, in a tranquil spot with a breathtaking vista to enjoy. The approach to the design on such a special site would be to maximize the theatre of the landscape and bring the best of the outdoors to the interior spaces.
Considerations that would apply to achieve this are;
- maximizing light with full height windows and door openings,
- facing correct direction to capture natural thermal energy,
- designing house with consideration to trade winds to avoid over-exposure to the elements,
- large open undercover areas that allow you to walk freely from the inside-out,
- ensuring that the design takes advantage of site specifics, with elevation to achieve prospective views,
- using materials that assimilate with the natural surroundings,
Ensuring your interior spaces work during sunlight and night times and provide a sense of security on the inside but bring the aspect and atmosphere of the outside to bear on the interior ambience. Approaching your dream home with harmony to the sense of place will ensure a construction that has beautiful vibrations and makes for a happy and calm home.